I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
Unless you ask your specific person, you won’t find a better gift list than this gift guide for enneagram types REQUESTED BY each enneagram type!
Enneagram gift guides are everywhere…which is why I’ve avoided writing yet another one until now.
My problem with enneagram gift guides is that they were always too stereotypical for my liking. I wouldn’t’ want anyone to buy me a gift from the standard type 1 gift guides out there.
Would some type 1s like a new planner? Sure. Would all or even most type 1s? Probably not…definitely not me.
So instead of just coming up with a gift guide on my own where it’d be bound to fall into stereotypical gifts just like all the rest, I decided to poll actual enneagram types to see what they would actually want!
It’s not surprising that you will still see some of the stereotypical gift ideas on this list (they are stereotypes for a reason after all) but you may find some new ideas… and definitely more specific ideas than just “books and coffee”.
Psst… not sure of your enneagram type? Learn how to find your enneagram type today!
Gift Guide for Enneagram Types (Requested By Each Enneagram Type!)
Gifts That Type 1s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 1s chimed in to say that they prefer if people just shop from their provided wishlist or give gift cards. 1s are often disappointed in the less than perfect and creative gifts will often disappoint (although they will try not to show it).
- Gift card ideas: favorite restaurant, massage, facial, or store to buy their practical items, Amazon
- Skincare items (opt for their favorite brands or ones they’ve been mentioning like a face ice roller)
- Books: Most said classical literature, nice editions of their favorites, or on topics they are into
- High quality coffee beans or ethical coffee beans
- Ember Mug
- Kitchen Items: items to make their life easier but are still practical, or upgrades of well used kitchen items like a Vitamix or Dutch Oven.
- Car Detail (along this line, some 1s might like a house cleaning or yard cleaning)
- Practical items for an upcoming trip (like luggage)
- Duvet cover
- Apple Watch
- New planner (if they use them)
Gifts That Type 2s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 2s chimed in to say that they didn’t know what they wanted or they wanted stuff for their family. 2s may be hard to shop for but do try. They want to be loved and appreciated.
- Gift card ideas: favorite restaurant, massage, facial, self care that they’d not normally do.
- Wellness/beauty products (maybe a whole self care kit)
- Things to do together and time with friends/family (remember they really like connecting!)
- Planner (again, if they use them)
- Things they might mention but would never justify buying for themselves
- A nice bag/purse
- Vintage cookie jar
- Craft supplies
- Family photoshoot
- Kitchen Items: items to make their life easier but are still practical, or upgrades of well used kitchen items like new cookware or KitchenAid Mixer.
Gifts That Type 3s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 3s chimed in to say that they either buy everything they need or they’d rather be surprised than disappointed in not getting what they asked for. I think there’s something deep about that comment… not getting what they truly want probably confirms their fears that they can’t be valued for who they truly are. I’d advise getting them what they truly want.
- Gift card ideas: favorite clothing store or electronic store
- Apple Watch
- New work bag (style they want)
- New workout clothes
- Adjustable dumbbells
- Good entertaining dishes / cheese boards
- Power tools (you’d have to figure out which ones they want)
- Professional camera
- Masterclass subscription
- Food processor
- Nice earrings (one 3 said diamond but I bet the 3 you’re shopping for has some standards)
- Self care items (jade rollers, nice bubble bath, facial masks)
- Books about self awareness/discovery
- Practical items (Keurig, vacuum, luggage…it’s boring but makes life efficient)
- Ankle Ugg boots
Gifts That Type 4s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 4s chimed in to say that want meaningful gifts. So don’t just grab a random candle or gift basket. Show that you know them or have a great memory of them.
- Gift card ideas: likely don’t. 🙂 I didn’t have a single 4 mention gift cards.
- Vinyl records
- Unique candles (go with unique scents or memories)
- Family heirlooms (no links for that one!)
- Paint by number (for adults)
- Fancy food (unique salts, breads, cheese, kombucha whatever floats their boat)
- Stuffed animals (again, personal to them)
- Noise canceling headphones
- Books (fantasy or world building)
- Craft supplies (go with what they use)
- If you go practical, consider adding a note about why you are giving it to them. (if you give a mixer, explain that you remembered when you were making cakes together and they mentioned they didn’t have one so you got them one so they could relive those memories)
Gifts That Type 5s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 5s chimed in to say that they didn’t want the hoopla of gifts or they wanted time alone. 5s don’t mind gifts but they don’t enjoy any emotional expectations that come with them so be mindful of that.
- Gift card ideas: favorite bookstore, Amazon, hobby store, wherever they buy their favorite things.
- Museum tickets
- Laptop bag
- Books (classics, old literature, scifi, detective fiction)
- How to books (mini farming, cooking, floral arrangement, brewing)
- Ex libris stamp (you know the ones that say “from the library of..”)
- Record player
- Noise canceling head phones
- Supplies for their hobbies (sewing patterns, video game supplies)
- Video games
- Puzzles (wooden puzzles are fun as the individual pieces are animals/shapes)
Gifts That Type 6s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that 6s can be tricky… particularly if you are shopping for a counterphobic 6 (in which case you may want to look to the type 8 section as they often overlap in traits).
- Gift card ideas: wherever they buy their favorite things.
- Experiences with loved ones
- Vintage vinyls
- Candles (maybe opt for safe toxin free ones)
- Super soft blanket or weighted blanket
- Assorted tea
- Books (try to get a bead on what books they like)
- Better security lighting (or any security stuff like video doorbells)
- A nice robe or slippers
- Nice label free everyday bag
- Mini waffle maker
- Puzzles (wooden puzzles are fun as the individual pieces are animals/shapes)
Gifts That Type 7s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 7s chimed in to say that they would prefer experiences than gifts. Hence why their list is smaller and doesn’t have much in the way of links.
- Gift card ideas: to do something fun, for gear to enhance their fun activities, Airbnb
- Surprise trips
- Airline tickets
- Outdoor gear
- Workout clothes
- Go Pro
- Concert tickets
- Class at a fitness studio (odds are they’d prefer to do it with you!)
- Lots of little things in one box
- Makeup brushes
- Books (fun books, not sad books or ones like The Bucket List) – although some said no books because they never finish them. 🙂
Gifts That Type 8s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 8s chimed in to say that they don’t want something that will just create clutter (practical or meaningful gifts instead) and they do not appreciate surprises… they like the control of getting what they asked for (shop their wishlist).
- Gift card ideas: for practical items they want or to their favorite stores
- Straight up money
- Exercise clothes
- Running shoes
- Gym equipment (weights, kettlebell, you’ll probably need to know what they need)
- Gym membership (those 8s are active people!)
- Plants (if they are plant people)
- Coffee mugs (maybe pair with the world’s strongest coffee beans)
- New work bag
- Items for their hobbies
- Board games
- Experiences at their favorite place
- Take a task off their plate
Gifts That Type 9s Want
Before we start this list, I’ll just mention that a resounding amount of 9s chimed in to say that they just love being thought of and are happy with whatever made the giver think of them. Perhaps something they mentioned but they don’t need.
- Gift card ideas: for their favorite stores, for house cleaning, wherever they get their knickknacks/geekery)
- Bath items
- Cozy things (socks, slippers, sweaters)
- Blankets (heated, weighted, cozy)
- Puzzles (ideally one in their favorite character, movie, animal, plant)
- Books (self help, fantasy, or whatever makes you think of them)
- Plants (if they are into plants)
- Craft/drawing supplies
- Nespresso machine
- Flavored coffee syrup set
- Air fryer or crockpot (I’m seeing ways to make cooking easier here)
- Nail polish
- Tea & tea kettle
- Fancy or cozy pajamas
Now that you’ve checked out this gift guide for enneagram types REQUESTED BY each enneagram type… don’t forget to check out the Enneagram themed gift guide as well! There you’ll find enneagram specific gifts such as Type mugs and enneagram games.