I may receive commissions from purchases made through links in this article. Full Disclosure
The Princess Bride is a gold mind of amazing quotes! Below, you’ll see which quote fits with your enneagram type in these Princess Bride quotes by enneagram type.
As a rule, I do not type fictional characters. I know it’s a fun thing to do and I’ll admit that I do it internally but I won’t create a post telling people what enneagram type Buttercup or Inigo Montoya was.
Why? Because fictional characters are an amalgam of the author’s (or screen writers/producers) imagination.
That said, I do love finding quotes in great books and figuring out what enneagram type they match. Quotes are just a snippet of what the person or character who said it but that snippet can be a decent glimpse of what a particular enneagram type might believe or agree with.
This does not mean that if Westley says what I think is a type 9 quote that he is a type 9. It just means that the quote seems 9ish.
Now that all of my personal disclosures are said and done, on to the fun stuff! All of these quotes are from The Princess Bride BOOK (not the movie, although many can be found in the movie as well). Seriously though… if you’ve never ready the book, go out and grab a copy because just like the movie… it’s THAT good!
The Princess Bride Quotes By Enneagram Type
Type 1 Princess Bride Quote
“I’ll tell you the truth and it’s up to you to live with it.”
– This quote is from Yeste (only found in the book). Yeste takes care of Inigo after his father dies.
Type 2 Princess Bride Quote
“There were some things you did, no matter what, and when a friend needed help, you helped them.”
– This is not a character quote but rather just a quote from the book. It is connected to one of Fezzik’s actions.
Type 3 Princess Bride Quote
“You are wonderful, father.” … “I’m more than wonderful, how dare you insult me.”
– This fun quote is a conversation between Inigo and his father.
Type 4 Princess Bride Quote
“You could concentrate much more deeply when you were alone with agony.”
– This is not something a character says, just a quote in the book. However, it pertains to Count Rugen.
Type 5 Princess Bride Quote
“I don’t guess. I think. I ponder. I deduce. But I never guess.”
– Did you read this quote in the voice of Vizzini? Then you would be correct! It IS a Vizzini quote! Inconceivable!
Type 6 Princess Bride Quote
“I always think everything is a trap until proven otherwise… which is why I’m still alive.”
– This quote is by Prince Humberdinck
Type 7 Princess Bride Quote
“I am as devoted to adventure now as then, and that’s never going to stop.”
– This quote is sort of a character quote as it is a quote by S. Morgenstern.
(Do you know who actually wrote The Princess Bride?)
Type 8 Princess Bride Quote
“We’ll never survive!”… “Nonsense. You’re only saying that because no one ever has.”
– This one is actually NOT in the book (oops!) This is a conversation between Buttercup and Westley from the movie.
As it turns out it’s oddly hard to find good type 8 quotes in the book. The runner up was “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something” Although the type 1 quote listed about is pretty 8ish as well.
Type 9 Princess Bride Quote
“As you wish…”
– This is obviously a Westley quote.
Someone was going to get this quote and it fits 9’s quite well… although it’s a very 2ish quote as well.
As fun as it is to find literary or movie quotes that fit our types, that of course, is not where the real growth is.
If you are wanting more information that will help you learn more about your type, check out these posts:
The Core Motivations
How to Confirm your Enneagram Type
The Centers of Intelligence
And if you just want more fun quotes… check out my Quotes section!